Edward Lloyd began his shoemaking business in Stafford in about 1828, and became one of the town’s most successful businesses in the later 19th century. He was born in Birmingham in 1803, and was making shoes in Stafford by 1823. Initially operating on Foregate Street, by 1834 he had moved to 4 Eastgate Street. As the factory system developed, a new factory was built on the corner of Sandon Road and Lloyd Street in 1865-1868 (now demolished). This three-storey factory had the latest machinery and was organised on modern lines.
The company was one of the larger boot and shoe manufacturers in the town, with 132 employees in 1871. They were best known for ‘Crescent’ and ‘EL’ Boots and Shoes for children and women, ‘everywhere acknowledged to be unsurpassed for elegance, durability and finish.’
After Edward’s death in 1873, alongside many of Stafford and Stone’s boot and shoe manufacturers, Edward Lloyd & Sons struggled when export trade declined in the last decades of the 19th century, and closed in the 1890s. The factory no longer stands, but the Edward Lloyd’s name survives in the street named after his business.