Based in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire, Edward Pinchess & Co. Ltd. opened a branch factory in Mill Lane, Rugeley in 1945. Founded in the 1890s, the company’s Earl Shilton factory had been heavily hit by war-time requisitions of its premises and raw materials, and by the call to war of its workforce. They moved to Rugeley to operate on a smaller scale. The factory employed a large number of people, mainly women, and made a wide variety of shoes, including special ballet pumps.
The factory produced women’s and girls’ medium grade shoes, and also glace and box boots and shoes. During and after the Second World War they produced ‘Utility’ shoes in line with government restrictions on design and use of materials as national shortages of leather, rubber and textiles continued into the 1950s.
The factory closed in about 1956.